Saturday, August 6, 2011

A balancing act


Hi, guys!  It's been a while since I've written anything here.  I feel like I say that a lot.  It just seems like I can never stay on top of life quite as much as I'd like to.  I do have the excuse of starting a new job just a few weeks ago, so it's been this crazy dance again of trying to find equilibrium.  I am super excited about this job, though!  It's in my community, and it's for a cause that I really care about.  I'll fill you guys in on a different post, as stuff grows there!
It's recently struck me that this dilemma of equilibrium must be the strife of every "urban farm project".  In each of these situations, the folks that are trying to be urban farmers also have jobs in the real world, since we live in such settings that it is impossible to actually make any money off of farming this small square of land that is worth an exorbitant amount of money.  It's really just a gesture of pure insanity that we decide we want to take on more chores and more work in order to gain this extra closeness to our food.  Maybe it's a little bit of madness in wanting to be self-sufficient, and a little bit of paranoia that we've got to be prepared when "stuff goes down!"  Any way you cut it, I guess, it's all just a crazy, maybe a little bit out-of-control hobby.  We are hoarders, of sorts, addicted to animals and heirloom veggie seeds.  Ask any one of us.  Ask us if we can pass through a nursery without buying something.  Ask us if we ever "browse" craigslist, seeing what kind of awesome deals they have on chickens or hatching eggs.  Find a single one of us who actually comes out on top, financially, by "growing" our own meat and eggs.  Not with organic feed and fertilizer in the city, anyhow.  But it's an addiction, an obsession and a hobby.  It's the love of our lives, and dammit, it's just plain fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment