The grandest and most costly project at Radio Acres to date. Before April, I used to think the biggest farm project we had under taken was building our chicken coup. While we were still in escrow we had 30 baby chicks living in our apartment, bought an old playhouse on craigslist for the henhouse, and we're buying materials. Then before we even packed a moving truck, we were building their coup and stringing chicken wire.
Yes, that was a humdinger of a project. But this one takes the cake. We are adding about 600 sq. ft to the farmhouse. Which sounds modest, but is almost 2/3 the size of the current house. So we are excited for the space and the extra bathroom.
It has been an ordeal to get permits from the city, but we eventually prevailed and since April 1st we have been pouring concrete and framing. Jeremy's uncle has come out from Arizona to help us, since we all are truly construction novices and he has been invaluable in accomplishing everything.
I (BJ) have been Ron's primary assistant and in construction terms, I think my position is called unskilled laborer. Which includes, pounding nails (I haven't graduated to nail gun yet), busting up concrete with a sledge hammer (I did eventually graduate to jackhammer) and moving lumber around the worksite. Here are some pictures of the progress. We hope to get the roof on by late this week!